Art Center Association of Sioux City
Board of Directors FY2022-2023
STANDARDS OF MEMBERSHIP
Board members are expected to:
- Show an active interest in the mission and programs of the Sioux City Art Center.
- Utilize their skills and expertise to further the mission and programs of the Sioux City Art Center.
- Assist in activities, which will enhance the financial well-being of the Sioux City Art Center.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- A board member is expected to abide by the Sioux City Art Center’s Code of Ethics, disclosing any potential conflicts of interest and putting the good of the institution before personal interests or financial gain. The member will maintain confidentiality on issues discussed at Board and committee meetings.
- A board member is expected to effectively articulate the mission of the organization to the larger community in the spirit of advocacy and use his or her influence or position in the community on behalf of the Art Center.
- A board member is expected to learn about, remain informed of, and support the Art Center’s mission, purposes, goals, policies, programs, and finances, and participate in and take responsibility for decisions on Board matters.
- A board member is expected to prepare for and participate in Board and committee meetings, asking timely and substantive questions consistent with personal conscience and convictions. The member is expected to make every effort to attend all meetings and serve and actively participate on at least one committee. Any board member who is absent from three (3) meetings within a July 1 through June 30 fiscal year without notifying the Art Center receptionist or an officer of the Association shall be dropped from board membership. Notification of at least three (3) days in advance shall be considered excused. Any board member who is absent from six (6) or more meetings, excused or unexcused, within a July 1 through June 30 fiscal year, shall be dropped from board membership. Such removal shall be immediate and automatic. The Executive Committee may grant an extended leave of absence for extenuating circumstances.
- A board member is expected to join the Art Center Association as a member, increasing the level of membership whenever possible, becoming a member at the suggested level of Donor Level, or at a level that is personally meaningful.
- A board member is expected to make a personally significant annual gift to the Art Center Association, with the realization of the leadership role the Board must play in fund development, ensuring 100% Board participation.
- A board member is expected to make or personally assist the Art Center in securing a leadership-level financial contribution to any board-initiated campaign.
- A board member is expected to support fundraising events by participating in the sale or purchasing of tickets for any fundraising events. Additionally, the member will personally consider or facilitate finding sponsorships for exhibitions, programs, fundraising events and facilitate awareness and participation in Art Center programs.
- A board member is expected to attend exhibitions, openings, and programs in order to have a visible role and to experience the Art Center from the perspective of its visitors.
- A board member is expected to suggest new members and prospective volunteers for the Art Center who are prepared to make significant contributions to the work of the Board and the progress of the Art Center.
WHAT THE BOARD MEMBER CAN EXPECT FROM THE SIOUX CITY ART CENTER
- You will be sent an agenda and materials five days prior to the Board meeting. The primary means of communication will be through email. Minutes of Board meetings will be supplied to you.
- An orientation will be provided for you. You will also be able to discuss the internal programs, goals, and the status of Art Center activities with the Director and Board President.
- The organization will help you perform your duties by keeping you informed about issues affecting the Art Center. You will be offered opportunities for ongoing education concerning the work of the Art Center and the arts.
- Board members and staff will respond in a straightforward fashion to questions that you feel are necessary to carry out your responsibilities to this organization. Board members and staff will work in good faith with you towards achieving our goals. The Director is the primary staff point of contact for the Board.
- The Director and Board President will meet with you annually to review the duties and responsibilities of membership. The Development Coordinator will meet with you annually to review your personalized Board Engagement Scorecard.
- You will be notified of and invited to all special events and activities.
Board Contract FY2022-2023
PLEASE NOTE: Many avenues are available to Board Members to participate in fundraising efforts at the Art Center. You will find a comprehensive list of opportunities below. Please indicate your desires for Board engagement in the coming fiscal year.